Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Move 1 Space, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200

We've gone and done it.  Passed the next big mark in life.  Moved into the next decade.  Mark's 60th birthday was yesterday.  Not sure how that happened so quickly.  Many parts of life feel like a Monopoly game.  Buying houses, paying taxes, getting a fresh start on New Years Day, tho no one passes out $200 on January 1!   But sometimes it feels like my piece is moving too quickly around the board!

When I started this blog, I was going to call it Life in the 50's.  Thankfully, I asked for opinions on the title and a friend suggested I wouldn't always be in my 50's!    But I still feel like I'm in my 50's, doesn't that count for something?  Rachael's girls were talking yesterday morning about PaPa's birthday and one of them said he didn't look like he was 60, he looked like he was 40.  They had a puzzled look and no response when mom told them she was almost 40!  And how did that happen?

Tara sent out a few messages and asked people to tell what Mark had meant to them and she put all their responses in a nice book.  Friday we had a private family party and Mark read aloud the book.  It was so touching.  So many people had such kind and appreciative words to say about what Mark had done for them, how he had encouraged them, been a mentor to them and what a great example he is of what a godly man, husband and father looked like. What a priceless gift.

And Mark has been all that and more.  He is a compassionate man, cares deeply for others and is always quick to offer to help people.  I am blessed beyond words to do life with this man.

We had a few friends over on Saturday and enjoyed their visit.  For 'decorations' I set out pictures of Mark from years past.  They got a kick out of the many faces of Mark Baines - dark hair, grey hair, beard, no beard. 

Okay, neither of us look like we did years ago.  But we are still committed to each other and to loving the Lord the rest of our days.  

One of the cards Mark got said 'here's to another 60 years'!  I don't think we want to live to be 120, but we sure are enjoying this season.

We're a lot less stressed and not overloaded with busy activities.  It's just the two of us and we have more say in choosing what to do.  We did go to Scarlet's soccer game Saturday morning - my first soccer game ever.  It was so cute!  
And we've been to adorable dance recitals, Kindergarten graduations, princess birthday parties and such.

These days we're looking to future events.  I've sent my book to the publisher and it's supposed to be ready by Christmas.  Some days I think Mark is more excited about it than I am!   Retirement.  It's not going to happen soon, but we're talking about it.  Trying to be well prepared.  One advantage of not being the oldest is that Mark has an older brother who has figured out all the details so we can learn from Tony what all we need to do.  I remember thinking when we were in our 20's that we'd have plenty of time to get ready for retirement.  Who knew it would come so quickly?

I've been in this decade for 14 months now.  I've decided it's an okay place to be.  Truthfully, I'm grateful to be.  Be here to do things with Mark.  Be here to see what fabulous adults are children have become.  Be here to watch our little girls grow up.  Be here to be a part of what God is doing in Reno, Nevada.

We are working on being.  Being in the moment.  Being a part of something bigger than ourselves.  Taking good care of our souls.  Helping others learn to do the same.  

I wished we'd learned the importance of being at a younger age.  But grateful for the vision of it now.

Are you being in the moment or is life passing you by?
Are you being an involved part of your life, or are you an observer?
Are you helping others along the way?
Are you taking good care of your soul?

These are the things that will matter at the end.

Living life. 
Being a part of life.
Helping others in your life path. 
Taking care of your soul.

If you'd like some resources that would help with that, I can be reached at 
cindybainesauthor@gmail.com

(if you'd like to follow the progress of my book, I've created a Facebook page or it.  Comment here and I'll add you to the page.)



No comments: