Thursday, May 7, 2015

Public Speaking

Well, after being encouraged multiple times from different people, I've taken on an additional vocation.  Public Speaking.

When I was working on editing my book, it was suggested to blog about it and the blogging information suggested speaking engagements about it.  I didn't feel I was ready to do that, irregardless of the fact that that's what I do for a living - public speaking.  I go into a room of people, frequently not knowing more than one or maybe two, and I give 'a 30 minute speech'.

In a training with my company, we had a conference call with someone who was extremely successful in the direct sales business and has become a motivational speaker/trainer for companies.  She suggested a way to promote our business is to offer to be a free speaker for groups that are looking for speakers, such as Lions Club, MOPS, Kiwanis, etc.  I had to ponder this one for a while to make sure I could come up with a 30 minute talk that wasn't a sales talk.

I took the plunge at my BNI meeting this week.  This is a networking group that focuses on helping each other promote their business.  With 30 second weekly introductions and twice or three times a year being the focused speaker at the group, we teach them what we do and how they can help us grow our business. For my 30 seconds, I said "I'm looking for groups and clubs that are in need of a speaker.  I will talk about being healthy, taking charge of that in your life and will not be just giving a sales talk.  And I'm free!"

One gentleman is in a Lion's Club and I'm going to be speaking at his club and he's going to get me into the other clubs in the community.  Who knew it would be so easy?  I'm pretty stoked about it.  It will help me get further into the community with my business with people I would never have had the chance to meet.

And I've been asked to be a speaker at my company's annual convention in July.  Crazy!  People must think I have something worthwhile to say.  Mind you, I've been trying to tell Mark and my kids that for years!

So, do you have a burning passion about something that matters in changing the world, even in a small way?  Do you want to get the word out?  Give it a try!   Make sure you can organize and articulate clearly what you want to say and contact clubs and groups in your area.  You may surprise yourself as well.

No comments: